Hamilton Chamber of Commerce

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Hamilton Chamber of Commerce

Parallel form(s) of name

  • Hamilton and District Chamber of Commerce
  • Hamilton Board of Trade

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1845-Present

History

The Hamilton Board of Trade was formed at a public meeting held in the Royal Exchange on April 29, 1845. Thirty-seven Hamilton businessmen attended. The constitution of the Board was adopted at this meeting and Isaac Buchanan was elected as first president. In 1920 the name was changed to the Hamilton Board of Commerce. Throughout the years, The Hamilton Chamber of Commerce has played an active part in the betterment of Hamilton business and ventures. Their achievement include the financing of the Royal Connaught, organizing the council of Social Agencies, The Chedoke Civic Golf Club, The Central Bureau of Family Welfare, and the relocation of McMaster University to Hamilton. It also contributes ongoing tourism and information initiatives promoting Hamiltonian expansion and development.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes