Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
- Hamilton Savoyards
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Hamilton Savoyard Operatic Society was founded in 1929 by Thomas Ashworth. The Society' purpose was to stage Gilbert and Sullivan's Victorian comedic operas, and opened with the production H.M.S. Pinafore at Delta Collegiate in Hamilton. The Society performed at many local venues, including the Westdale Theatre, and the Grand Opera House on James Street North.
In 1949, the Society changed their name to the Hamilton Savoyards after acquiring new members from the Hamilton Musical Arts Society. The group disbanded briefly in 1957 and was re-established in 1961 under the same direction of Thomas Ashworth. In 1966, the Savoyards changed their repertoire from only reproducing Gilbert and Sullivan comedic opera productions, to a variety of styles to show their theatrical flexibility.
The Hamilton Savoyards merged with the Hamilton Theatre Company to expand their musical productions. The Company eventually was incorporated to become Hamilton Theatre Inc., a group that currently holds its headquarters at 140 MacNab Street North and continues to entertain the Hamilton community.