Subfonds 5 - Paardeburg Chapter records

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Paardeburg Chapter records

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Subfonds

Reference code

CA ON00131 00952-5

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1907-1998 (Creation)
    Creator
    Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire. Paardeburg Chapter

Physical description area

Physical description

80 cm of textual records and other material (28 volumes)

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1907-2009)

Administrative history

This chapter was formed in 1907 as a military chapter to assist veterans. The first meeting took place at the residence of Lieutenant Colonel Moore on Hess Street South. The chapter’s name refers to the Battle of Paardeburg, fought in February, 1900. It was the Canadians’ first engagement in the Boer War. Mrs. P. D. Crerar, regent of Hamilton Municipal Chapter, began the chapter with the goal of providing care for members of the armed force and their children. At that time, each member had to have a husband, son or brother in the Canadian Army or Navy. The chapter's first project took the form of band concerts. Money was used to purchase musical instruments for the Army Medical Corps Band and to aid South African War veterans and their families. Soon after the chapter's formation, Mrs. Gordon Henderson proposed that the chapter organize a girls’ club and boarding house in the east end of Hamilton for business girls from out of town. By 1908, efforts were underway. A charter was secured, allowing for the purchase of property by the Daughter of the Empire Club, Hamilton, Limited (1911-1996). Hamilton chapters shared the responsibility of funding The Daughters of the Empire Club boarding house and girls' club. From 1913 to 1950, the Paardeburg chapter presented a rifle to Central Collegiate for the best marksman. In 1915, under the leadership of Mrs. H. S. Griffin, regent, a hospital committee was formed. It made supplies and raised funds for Number 2 Hospital in France. Around this time, Paardeburg Chapter acquired its own chapter house when Mrs. W. B. Bruce offered the use of her old home at 17 Jackson Street West, a site later occupied by the Bell Telephone Company (1929). In April of 1919, the chapter house was closed. After World War I, an organization within the chapter called the Big Sisters of Paardeburg was formed to assist daughters of deceased Hamilton soldiers, the Little Sisters of Paardeburg. In 1937, Paardeburg sponsored the formation of the Rt. Hon. Stanley Baldwin Chapter as a junior chapter. During World War II, the Paardeburg Chapter raised funds selling ice cream, candy and soft drinks from a chalet in the Rock Garden. In November of 1996, the shareholders of the Daughter of the Empire Club, Hamilton, Limited voted to surrender their charter. The remaining money held by the girl's club, in the amount of $55,000 (after expenses), was donated to McMaster University for the establishment of a Bursary Fund in perpetuity. The amount was matched by the Ontario Government. The chapter's motto was: "Always Ready."

Custodial history

Scope and content

Subfonds consists of minute books, agenda books, war service records, scrapbooks, and photographs, documenting the activities of the Paardeburg Chapter of the IODE.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Microfilm 543 includes a list of boxes and contents, hospital supplies sent by the shipping department of the hospital committee to the Red Cross, 1915-1918.
Furness, Cecilia. (1982). Always Ready: Paardeburg Chapter IODE 75th Anniversary is located in Local History and Archives [call number 369.271/FUR CESH].

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area