Sovereign Potters Ltd.
Superior Engravers (1921-)
- Superior Engravers
Item is a photograph of Sovereign Potters Limited (1933-1973), located at 282 Sherman Avenue North. Sovereign Potters Limited was formed in 1933 by W. G. Pulkingham and Alfred Etherington with the financial support of a group of local businessmen, and was one of Canada's largest manufacturers of fine porcelain and earthenware. Operations began on a modest scale; however, with the outbreak of war the company boomed, supplying army china. At its peak in 1946 and 1947, it employed about 450 people. On July 1, 1947, the company was purchased by British dinnerware manufacturer Johnson Brothers (Hanley) Ltd. In 1952, W. H. Hall was sent by the parent company to become president of its Canadian operations. It continued to manufacture dinnerware until 1958 when it concentrated on the production of ceramic wall tiles and decorated blanks sent out from England. The company underwent a name change (H. & R. Johnson (Canada) Ltd.) and a new address at 15 Biggar Avenue.
photographic print; b&w; 24 x 19 cm
Hamilton - Companies - Sovereign Potters Ltd. Black Mount Collection. Local History & Archives. Hamilton Public Library
Digital object metadata
November 2, 2015 12:44 PM