Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire. Paardeburg Chapter

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire. Paardeburg Chapter

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1907-2009

History

This chapter was formed in 1907 as a military chapter to assist veterans. The first meeting took place at the residence of Lieutenant Colonel Moore on Hess Street South. The chapter’s name refers to the Battle of Paardeburg, fought in February, 1900. It was the Canadians’ first engagement in the Boer War. Mrs. P. D. Crerar, regent of Hamilton Municipal Chapter, began the chapter with the goal of providing care for members of the armed force and their children. At that time, each member had to have a husband, son or brother in the Canadian Army or Navy. The chapter's first project took the form of band concerts. Money was used to purchase musical instruments for the Army Medical Corps Band and to aid South African War veterans and their families. Soon after the chapter's formation, Mrs. Gordon Henderson proposed that the chapter organize a girls’ club and boarding house in the east end of Hamilton for business girls from out of town. By 1908, efforts were underway. A charter was secured, allowing for the purchase of property by the Daughter of the Empire Club, Hamilton, Limited (1911-1996). Hamilton chapters shared the responsibility of funding The Daughters of the Empire Club boarding house and girls' club. From 1913 to 1950, the Paardeburg chapter presented a rifle to Central Collegiate for the best marksman. In 1915, under the leadership of Mrs. H. S. Griffin, regent, a hospital committee was formed. It made supplies and raised funds for Number 2 Hospital in France. Around this time, Paardeburg Chapter acquired its own chapter house when Mrs. W. B. Bruce offered the use of her old home at 17 Jackson Street West, a site later occupied by the Bell Telephone Company (1929). In April of 1919, the chapter house was closed. After World War I, an organization within the chapter called the Big Sisters of Paardeburg was formed to assist daughters of deceased Hamilton soldiers, the Little Sisters of Paardeburg. In 1937, Paardeburg sponsored the formation of the Rt. Hon. Stanley Baldwin Chapter as a junior chapter. During World War II, the Paardeburg Chapter raised funds selling ice cream, candy and soft drinks from a chalet in the Rock Garden. In November of 1996, the shareholders of the Daughter of the Empire Club, Hamilton, Limited voted to surrender their charter. The remaining money held by the girl's club, in the amount of $55,000 (after expenses), was donated to McMaster University for the establishment of a Bursary Fund in perpetuity. The amount was matched by the Ontario Government. The chapter's motto was: "Always Ready."

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire (IODE). Wellington Square Chapter

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

hierarchical

Type of relationship

Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire (IODE). Wellington Square Chapter is the superior of Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire. Paardeburg Chapter

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes