collection - Hamilton Naturalists' Club

Ouvrir Objet numérique originale

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Hamilton Naturalists' Club

Dénomination générale des documents

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

Niveau de description

collection

Cote

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production

Date(s)

  • 1919-2012 (Production)

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

2.455m of textual and graphic materials. - 134 photographs: 12 b&w, 122 col.; - 4 negatives. - 2 water colours

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur

Notice biographique

The Hamilton Naturalists’ Club is a not-for profit organization dedicated to preserving, protecting and promoting the natural environment of Hamilton, Ontario and the surrounding areas, through education and activism. The Club was first established in 1918, and was officially incorporated as the Hamilton Bird Protection Society in 1919. The Club’s original function was to protect and preserve birds and bird habitats from extinction. Over time, members of the Club broadened their scope to include all aspects of the natural world, changing their name to the Hamilton Nature Club. This name remained in place until 1959, when they officially became known as the Hamilton Naturalists’ Club. Since the early days of the organization, members have been instrumental in raising awareness and securing the protection of the environment such as the 1927 designation of Cootes Paradise as a wildlife sanctuary by a Provincial Government order. In 1961, the Hamilton Naturalists’ Club became the first conservation society and not-for-profit organization in Canada to purchase land in perpetuity for nature and wildlife sanctuaries. For the past century, the Hamilton Naturalists’ Club and its members have worked to protect and preserve the environment through their conservation projects and programs, playing an active role in environmental issues that affect the local community.

Historique de la conservation

The material was donated to the Local History & Archives Department of the Hamilton Public Library in 2013 by former President of the Hamilton Naturalists’ Club, Michael Fischer.

Portée et contenu

Fonds consists of predominantly textual materials pertaining to the organization’s conservation projects, programming, public education, promotional materials and publications. The fonds contains eleven series and one subseries including, administrative records, correspondence, bird records, environmental conservation projects, programs and events, the Junior Audubon Club, property records, bequests, endowments and funds, awards and recognition, publicity and publications, photographs and scrapbooks. The fonds also contains graphic materials including water colours, as well as photographs of events, programs, wildlife and plant life.

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Good

Source immédiate d'acquisition

Classement

Langue des documents

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

None

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Instruments de recherche

Created by Archives Technician Kelly Bucci in June of 2017.

Éléments associés

Thomas McIlwraith Fonds, accession # 00025.
The Birds of Ontario by Thomas McIlwraith (598.29713 MCI)
The Breeding Birds of Hamilton, Ontario by Bob Curry (598.0971352CUR)
The Wood Duck publication, issues from 1948-2017

Éléments associés

Accroissements

Note générale

The material donated by the Hamilton Naturalists’ Club included 15 books and reports. These items were pulled from this fonds and integrated into the Local History & Archives book collection. Duplicates were returned to the Club as per their request.

Note générale

Located in Room B

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de la description du document

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles ou conventions

Statut

Finale

Niveau de détail

Complet

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

The processing of the fonds was completed by Archives Technician Kelly Bucci in July 2017.

Langue de la description

Langage d'écriture de la description

Sources

Objet numérique (Matrice) zone des droits

Objet numérique (Référence) zone des droits

Objet numérique (Imagette) zone des droits

Zone des entrées

Sujets associés

Personnes et organismes associés

Lieux associés

Genres associés