Zona do título e menção de responsabilidade
Hamilton Naturalists' Club
Designação geral do material
Outra informação do título
Título e menções de responsabilidade
Nível de descrição
Zona de edição
Menção de responsabilidade da edição
Zona de detalhes específicos de materiais
Menção da escala (cartográfica)
Menção da projecção (cartográfica)
Menção das coordenadas (cartográfico)
Menção da escala (arquitectura)
Autoridade emissora e denominação (filatélica)
Zona de descrição física
2.455m of textual and graphic materials. - 134 photographs: 12 b&w, 122 col.; - 4 negatives. - 2 water colours
Zona da descrição do arquivo
Nome do produtor
The Hamilton Naturalists’ Club is a not-for profit organization dedicated to preserving, protecting and promoting the natural environment of Hamilton, Ontario and the surrounding areas, through education and activism. The Club was first established in 1918, and was officially incorporated as the Hamilton Bird Protection Society in 1919. The Club’s original function was to protect and preserve birds and bird habitats from extinction. Over time, members of the Club broadened their scope to include all aspects of the natural world, changing their name to the Hamilton Nature Club. This name remained in place until 1959, when they officially became known as the Hamilton Naturalists’ Club. Since the early days of the organization, members have been instrumental in raising awareness and securing the protection of the environment such as the 1927 designation of Cootes Paradise as a wildlife sanctuary by a Provincial Government order. In 1961, the Hamilton Naturalists’ Club became the first conservation society and not-for-profit organization in Canada to purchase land in perpetuity for nature and wildlife sanctuaries. For the past century, the Hamilton Naturalists’ Club and its members have worked to protect and preserve the environment through their conservation projects and programs, playing an active role in environmental issues that affect the local community.
The material was donated to the Local History & Archives Department of the Hamilton Public Library in 2013 by former President of the Hamilton Naturalists’ Club, Michael Fischer.
Âmbito e conteúdo
Fonds consists of predominantly textual materials pertaining to the organization’s conservation projects, programming, public education, promotional materials and publications. The fonds contains eleven series and one subseries including, administrative records, correspondence, bird records, environmental conservation projects, programs and events, the Junior Audubon Club, property records, bequests, endowments and funds, awards and recognition, publicity and publications, photographs and scrapbooks. The fonds also contains graphic materials including water colours, as well as photographs of events, programs, wildlife and plant life.
Zona das notas
Fonte imediata de aquisição
Disponibilidade de outros formatos
Restrições de acesso
Termos que regulam o uso, reprodução e publicação
Instrumentos de descrição
Created by Archives Technician Kelly Bucci in June of 2017.
Thomas McIlwraith Fonds, accession # 00025.
The Birds of Ontario by Thomas McIlwraith (598.29713 MCI)
The Breeding Birds of Hamilton, Ontario by Bob Curry (598.0971352CUR)
The Wood Duck publication, issues from 1948-2017
The material donated by the Hamilton Naturalists’ Club included 15 books and reports. These items were pulled from this fonds and integrated into the Local History & Archives book collection. Duplicates were returned to the Club as per their request.
Located in Room B
Zona do número normalizado
Pontos de acesso
Pontos de acesso - Assuntos
Pontos de acesso - Locais
Pontos de acesso de género
Zona do controlo
Descrição do identificador do registo
Identificador da instituição
Datas de criação, revisão ou eliminação
The processing of the fonds was completed by Archives Technician Kelly Bucci in July 2017.
Objeto digital (Matriz) zona de direitos
Objeto digital (Referência) zona de direitos
Objeto digital (Ícone) zona de direitos