Fonds - Head-of-the-Lake Historical Society fonds

Open original Digital object

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Head-of-the-Lake Historical Society fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1854-2010 (Creation)
    Head-of-the-Lake Historical Society

Physical description area

Physical description

3.55 m of textual and graphic materials.
1,057 photographs: 957 col., 45 b&w, 1 sepia tone, 54 contact sheets.
3,993 negatives: 55 glass plate.
50 audio cassettes.
6 video cassettes.
3 objects.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

The Head-of-the-Lake Historical Society was established in 1944, when Lieutenant Colonel Charles R. McCullough convened a meeting of historically-minded residents of Hamilton to discuss the establishment of a new local history society to replace the former Wentworth Historical Society (1889-1925). The Head-of-the-Lake Historical Society exists to promote Hamilton’s history through its motto: Explore, Preserve, Relate. The Society holds regular meetings and annual Heritage Day dinner celebrations, as well as outreach activities such as lectures and day outings to local historical sites. The Society has collected and preserved historical photographs of the Hamilton area, many of which have been included in its publications on Hamilton history. In partnership with the Hamilton Historical Board, the Society has sponsored several historical plaques to commemorate important people and events in the city of Hamilton and the surrounding region. The Society has also been actively involved in restoring important historical landmarks such as the incorporation of the Old City Hall clock into the Hamilton Eaton’s Centre, and the Gore Park Fountain in downtown Hamilton.

Custodial history

The material was donated to the Hamilton Public Library, Local History & Archives Department (date unknown), by the Head-of-the-Lake Historical Society and was received in several accruals.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of predominantly textual and graphic materials pertaining to the organization’s exploration, preservation and promotion of local Hamilton history, restoration projects, events, promotional materials and publications. The fonds contains ten series including, administrative records, financial records, committee records, correspondence, restoration projects, programs and events, awards and recognition, promotional materials and publications, publicity, and photographs and negatives. The fonds contains audio and video cassettes featuring lectures and presentations on various historical topics, as well as recordings and publicity for special events.

Notes area

Physical condition

Good condition with a few damaged negatives.

Immediate source of acquisition

Head-of-the-Lake Historical Society


The arrangement of the photographs and negatives is by date, with various subjects identified where possible. The original photographs and negatives were given an unexplained code or number by members of the Society, which was left on the material and has no relevance to the arrangement.

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats


Restrictions on access

The collection is open to researchers. There are no restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Copyright held by the creator. Many of the photographs and negatives in the collection were donated and at the time of donation, copyright was transferred to the Society. Many of these images were used by the Society for publications. Permission to use these images must be obtained from the Society. Preferred citation: Head-of-the-Lake Historical Society fonds, 00166, Hamilton Public Library, Hamilton, Ontario.

Finding aids

File list available.

Associated materials

Associated materials: The following related material can be found in the Local History & Archives (LH&A) department at Hamilton Public Library pertaining to the Head-of-the-Lake Historical Society fonds.

Head-of-the-Lake Historical Society. Around and About Hamilton, 1785-1985. Hamilton: W.L. Griffin Printing Limited, 1985. – Library Call Number: 971.352 ARO

Head-of-the-Lake Historical Society. Downtown Hamilton: The Heart of it All. Hamilton: Seldon Printing Limited, 1995. – Library Call Number: 971.352 DOW

Head-of-the-Lake Historical Society. Hamilton: Panorama of our Past. Hamilton: Head-of-the-Lake Historical Society, 1994. – Library Call Number: 971. 352 HAM

Head-of-the-Lake Historical Society. Wentworth Bygones: From the Papers and Records of the Head-of-the-Lake Historical Society, volumes 1-8. Hamilton: Walsh Printing Service, 1958-1967. – Library Call Number: 971.352 HEA

Wentworth Historical Society. Journal and Transactions of the Wentworth Historical Society, volume 1. Hamilton: Spectator Printing Company, 1892. – Library Call Number: 971.351 WEN

Wentworth Historical Society. Journal and Transactions of the Wentworth Historical Society, volumes 2-5. Hamilton: The Griffin & Kidner Co. Ltd, 1899-1905. – Library Call Number:971.351 WEN

Wentworth Historical Society. Papers and Records of the Wentworth Historical Society, volumes 6-11. Hamilton: The Griffin & Richmond Co. Ltd, 1915-1924. – Library Call Number: 971.351 WEN

Accession # 00571 – Wentworth Historical Society fonds – Consists of correspondence, post cards, minute books, cash logs, newspaper clippings, and glass plates of muster rolls of the Wentworth Historical Society.

One framed pencil sketch of the Stoney Creek Battlefield House Monument by J.G. Smith (1946), presented to the Head-of-the-Lake Historical Society, September 1946 – see Local History & Archives Art Inventory – Stoney Creek Monument – Accession 00166

Related materials


Further accruals of material are possible.

General note

Title is based on the contents of the Head-of-the-Lake Historical Society fonds.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions



Level of detail


Dates of creation, revision and deletion

The fonds was processed in 2018 by Archives Technician Kelly Bucci.

Language of description

Script of description


Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres