Title and statement of responsibility area
Hamilton Naturalists' Club
General material designation
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Physical description area
2.455 m of textual and graphic materials. - 134 photographs: 12 b&w, 122 col.; - 4 negatives. - 2 water colours
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Hamilton Naturalists’ Club is a not-for profit organization dedicated to preserving, protecting and promoting the natural environment of Hamilton, Ontario and the surrounding areas, through education and activism. The Club was first established in 1918, and was officially incorporated as the Hamilton Bird Protection Society in 1919. The Club’s original function was to protect and preserve birds and bird habitats from extinction. Over time, members of the Club broadened their scope to include all aspects of the natural world, changing their name to the Hamilton Nature Club. This name remained in place until 1959, when they officially became known as the Hamilton Naturalists’ Club. Since the early days of the organization, members have been instrumental in raising awareness and securing the protection of the environment such as the 1927 designation of Cootes Paradise as a wildlife sanctuary by a Provincial Government order. In 1961, the Hamilton Naturalists’ Club became the first conservation society and not-for-profit organization in Canada to purchase land in perpetuity for nature and wildlife sanctuaries. For the past century, the Hamilton Naturalists’ Club and its members have worked to protect and preserve the environment through their conservation projects and programs, playing an active role in environmental issues that affect the local community.
The material was donated to the Local History & Archives Department of the Hamilton Public Library in 2013 by former President of the Hamilton Naturalists’ Club, Michael Fischer.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of predominantly textual materials pertaining to the organization’s conservation projects, programming, public education, promotional materials and publications. The fonds contains eleven series and one subseries including, administrative records, correspondence, bird records, environmental conservation projects, programs and events, the Junior Audubon Club, property records, bequests, endowments and funds, awards and recognition, publicity and publications, photographs and scrapbooks. The fonds also contains graphic materials including water colours, as well as photographs of events, programs, wildlife and plant life.
Immediate source of acquisition
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Created by Archives Technician Kelly Bucci in June of 2017.
Thomas McIlwraith Fonds, accession # 00025.
The Birds of Ontario by Thomas McIlwraith (598.29713 MCI)
The Breeding Birds of Hamilton, Ontario by Bob Curry (598.0971352CUR)
The Wood Duck publication, issues from 1948-2017
The material donated by the Hamilton Naturalists’ Club included 15 books and reports. These items were pulled from this fonds and integrated into the Local History & Archives book collection. Duplicates were returned to the Club as per their request.
Located in Room B
Description record identifier
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
The processing of the fonds was completed by Archives Technician Kelly Bucci in July 2017.
Digital object (Master) rights area
Digital object (Reference) rights area
Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area